Everyone wants to know what they can and can’t do, here’s a small guide helping you to figure out what your allowed to do in the UK at your age.
- You can have a small part time job ( IE Paper-round )
- Boys can be convicted of rape, assault with the intent to commit rape and unlawful sex with a girl if she is under 16.
- You can be in a pub but not buy alcohol.
- You can live on your own but only when certains conditions are met.
- You can get married with your parents’ or guardians’ consent.
- You can have a full time job if you have officially left school. You need to remember that you can’t work full time until the last Friday in June – even if you have turned 16 before this.
- You can buy cigars/cigarettes.
- You can have an abortion without your parents consent.
- You can join the armed forces with your parents’ or carers’ consent.
- You can apply for your own passport.
- You can ride a moped of up to 50ccs.
- A girl must be 16 before she can legally have sex with a boy.
- It is illegal for a boy or man to have sex with a girl under 16.
- You can consent to a homosexual act if you partners are over 16.
- You can have beer or cider whilst eating a meal in a restaurant or an eating area of a pub, but not in the bar .
- You can emigrate.
- A care order can no longer be made on you.
- You can hold a licence to drive most vehicles.
- You can pilot a plane with a license.
- You are legally seen as an adult in the eyes of the law.
- You can vote in general and local elections.
- You can get married.
- You can open a bank account in your name without a parent or carer’s signature.
- You can buy and drink alcohol in a bar/club/pub.
- You can ask to see your birth certificate if you are adopted.
- You can change your name.
- You can be part of a jury in a court.
- You can sue or be sued.
- You can make a will.
- You can place bets at bookies/casinos.
- You can get a tattoo.